Charting Prosperity: Practical Ideas for a Stronger Canada
Policy Insights 2011
Inclusion and protection
Maytree believes that the way we treat our most vulnerable citizens is the truest measure of our national character.
The following recommendations have been prepared by organizations which share our commitment to giving voice to the voiceless.
By Tamarack – An Institute for Community Engagement
- Create a Community Fund of $25 million run by an arm’s-length body to help communities operate local decision-making tables.
- Designate and fund a nonprofit organization to provide coaching and other technical assistance to local communities fighting poverty.
- Create a $2 million learning fund (over five years) to promote cross community exchange for poverty reduction.
By Workers’ Action Centre
- Enforce existing labour standards by increasing proactive workplace inspections.
- Update labour laws to protect all workers.
- Update limitations and caps to reduce barriers to employment standards’ remedies.
- Expand protections to all temporary foreign workers.
- Improve Employment Insurance by standardizing qualifying criteria to 360 hours and raising the amount of benefits to 70 percent of previous earnings.
- Update the Canada Labour Code standards to create a national standard for workers and to create a federal minimum wage.
By End Modern-Day Slavery campaign
- Adopt a national action plan to combat human trafficking.
- Amend the Criminal Code to better prosecute traffickers and protect Victims.
- Amend the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its regulations to protect sexually exploited trafficked persons and exploited temporary foreign workers.
- Provincial governments must provide coordinated services to the victims of human trafficking.
The recommendations build on the power and potential of public services, and the resiliency of Canadians.
- Invisible Chains: Canada’s Underground World of Human Trafficking
- Maytree Policy in Focus, Issue 7: Protecting workers in a recession is important for a stronger economy