Five Good Ideas
Five Good Ideas to build your finance toolkit
Published on 15/06/2021
For anyone working in a for-profit, non-profit, or charitable organization, it is critically important to have a robust finance and accounting team that can help them understand and leverage the financial aspects of their organization. This will help minimize risk but also support them – and their organization – in navigating and planning for the future. Using a practical and illustrative approach, and based on his experience in both non-profit and for-profit sectors, Jeff Szeto, Chief Financial Officer at Avana Capital Corporation and Maytree, speaks on five good ideas to have in your finance toolkit that can help you build and maintain a strong financial foundation.
Five Good Ideas
- Assess and improve operational efficiency
- Implement appropriate risk management
- Ensure you have business intelligence tools
- Be thoughtful about resource planning
- Integrate finance into the enterprise
- CPA Canada: Business and accounting resources – topical whitepapers on topics impacting finance and accounting professionals
- Deloitte Insights – whitepapers covering a range of highly current topics ranging from strategy, operations, technology to accounting, etc.
- WHO: Solve your #1 Problem – a guide to formulaic guide to hiring by Geoff Smart and Randy Street
- Gartner.com – the latest trending finance topics backed by experts and peers
- Mckinsey Special Collection: The Role of the CFO – a good article on the role of a CFO
Jeff has over 15 years of extensive experience in leading, managing, and growing finance functions in high-growth entrepreneurial businesses. His background has seen him working in mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance for top-tier financial institutions, as well as serving as CFO of rapidly growing private companies. This diverse experience gives him the vision and leadership to scale high performing finance teams. In addition to his operating roles, he leads the direct investing group at ACS Ventures and plays an advisory role to many entrepreneurial ventures. He also serves as the CFO of Maytree, is currently the audit Chair of the TaddleCreek Family Health Team, and most recently was the previous CFO of Canada Learning Code, a high growth charity that is playing an instrumental role in designing, promoting, and delivering technology education across Canada.