Maytree believes that when human rights are protected, individuals and communities experience less poverty and we create a society that is inclusive, equitable and prosperous. We also believe that everyone can and should have a role in building and strengthening the communities where they live.
Who may apply?
We welcome proposals from registered charities that have an explicit mandate to reduce poverty and build strong civic communities. We are primarily interested in projects that have the potential for systems change.
What do we fund?
The main criterion by which we evaluate proposals is the alignment of the proposed work with Maytree’s mission.
We seek proposals that work towards one or more of the following goals and outcomes:
- Develop and promote policy ideas that address systemic causes of poverty and safeguard social and economic rights in the Canadian context.
- Develop leadership and skills capacity among civil society and people with lived experience of poverty to participate in the development of processes, policies and solutions to address poverty.
- Strengthen the connections among civic communities, people with lived experience, and institutions to address poverty and build a culture of rights.
Read some of the Stories of Change from organizations we’re supporting:
- Organizing, educating, and advocating for tenants’ rights
- Building leadership for change at the ACORN Canada 2017 national convention
- Moving from NIMBY to YIMBY
- Prime Minister to elementary students: You are the leaders of today
- Filing taxes brings major benefits to people on low incomes
- Advocacy, leadership, courage: What we learned from Super InTent City
What do we not fund?
- Support for an individual
- General fundraising campaigns
- Equipment purchases
- Building or renovation costs
- Capital campaigns or endowments
- Partisan political activities
- Religious activities
- Conferences and workshops
- Programs and services which are part of the government’s mandate
There is no set deadline to submit grant applications.
If you have any questions, email email@example.com.
Stories of change