What is Maytree Policy School?
Maytree Policy School is a six-month program that supports non-profit organizations with a social policy focus to advance evidence-based public policy solutions.
It is designed for senior policy professionals who are in a position to influence the public policy direction of their organization and are interested in enhancing their engagement and effectiveness in the policy process.
When and where does it take place?
Maytree Policy School 2024 will take place from January to June, 2024.
We will open with a two-night retreat on January 24-26, 2024, followed by online sessions delivered via Zoom and in-person sessions which will take place at a location in downtown Toronto.
|January 24-26||In person||Overnight retreat|
|February 8||Online||9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|February 9||In person||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|March 7||Online||9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|March 8||In person||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|March 21||Online||9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|March 22||In person||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|April 4||Online||9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|April 5||In person||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|April 18||Online||9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|April 19||In person||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|May 9||Online||9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|May 10||In person||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|May 23||Online||9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|May 24||In person||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|June 13||In person||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|June 14||In person||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
What does Maytree Policy School offer?
The program provides:
- opportunities to learn from public policy leaders working in the non-profit sector, public service, think tanks, and politics;
- a participatory learning environment that introduces tools and opportunities to hone skills in influencing public policy; and
- peer learning and supports which aid the development of policy tools for participating organizations.
What topics will be covered?
The curriculum will explore the following themes:
- Context of public policy in Canada
- How government works and how to work with government
- Understanding systemic influences on policy work
- Building your case using data and evidence
- Building your strategy
- Identifying and informing relevant groups and decision makers
- Evaluating for change
- Developing strategic communications
- Implementing strategies
What is required to participate?
Participants are expected to commit 15 to 25 hours per month to the program from January to June.
Upon acceptance into the program, participating organizations will be asked to pay a registration fee of $500.00.
Who should apply?
We welcome applications from senior leaders who are:
- in a position to influence the policy work of their organization;
- focused on social policy in their work; and
- are able to commit 15 to 25 hours per month from January to June.
Applications for Maytree Policy School 2024 are open.
Due date: October 17, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Need more information?
Contact Tina Edan, Lead, Maytree Policy School